VIRTUAL + AUGMENTED REALITY
Samsung is out with the newest version of its Gear 360 camera. Compatible with a smartphone, it’s capable of shooting 4K 360-degree video and taking 15 megapixel photos. The camera can also be used to live-stream 360-degree videos to social platforms like YouTube or Facebook. (The live-streaming feature is only available for Samsung phones.) The initial version of the Gear 360, launched a year ago, had a lower video resolution and featured no live-streaming capabilities. The camera carries a hefty $229 price tag. As part of a promotion lasting until June 19, consumers who buy one of Samsung’s flagship phones can also get the camera for $49.
OTT + SVOD
Media-buying executives are expecting to spend much more on new ad-supported OTT TV platforms, according to a new survey from audience measurement company Tru Optik. The survey finds that 62% of media-buying execs believe OTT ad spending will increase, while the remaining 38% say it will stay the same. About one third of respondents believed that new OTT ad money will come out of their digital advertising budgets. 23% said it would come from their linear budgets, while 21% said it would come from a “pooled advertising” budget. Meanwhile, three quarters of digital publishers said that a main benefit of OTT/connected TV is reaching millennials and cord-cutters. And 50% of execs said that precision advertising and targeting was the main benefit for OTT.
PLATFORMS, APPS + DEVICES
Six of Japan’s biggest media companies just partnered to launch a new video platform aimed at smartphone users. Called Premium Platform Japan, the service is slated to launch in July. The six launch partners are Tokyo Broadcasting System (which leads with a 31.5% stake), newspaper publisher Nikkei (17%), TV Tokyo (15%), Wowow (15%), Dentsu (15%), and Hakuhodo (7%). Content will include variety shows and drama series from the companies’ libraries, as well as live concerts and sports.
Ashley Tisdale , the actress, singer and producer best known for her role in High School Musical, has signed on with the multi-channel network StyleHaul. StyleHaul, known for its network of lifestyle, beauty, and fashion channels, will now make Tisdale’s YouTube channel part of its roster. Tisdale’s channel, which she re-launched only seven months ago, has over 1.3 million subscribers. Her channel’s content ranges from makeup tutorials to cooking videos.
Tweet of the week: @laurapotterxx: THE BACHELORETTE IS FINALLY HERE
Canvs , the language analytics company that measures emotions around content, analyzed tweets about TV and streaming programming from May 17-23 using Twitter data from Nielsen. Insights from the 3,373,917 tweets expressing a specific Emotional Reaction (ER) include:
– As celebrities strutted their stuff during the 2017 Billboard Music Awards on ABC, viewers gushed about their beauty/handsomeness, with the South Korean boy band BTS (aka Bangtan Boys) being a particularly big emotional touchpoint.
– People were spooked by the most recent episode of Freeform’s Pretty Little Liars during which Aria received some creepy video calls.
– Fans were psyched to have ABC’s The Bachelorette back on TV and flocked to the season 13 premiere.
– Tops in crazy ERs: the Boston Celtics vs. Cleveland Cavaliers game on TNT where Cavs point guard Kyrie Irving scored a career-playoff-high of 42 points, helping lead his team to victory.
Brian Ames is no longer at Snap Inc. A three-year vet at the Snapchat parent, Ames (formerly named Theisen) had served as Snap’s Director of Revenue since 2014. According to his LinkedIn page, Ames left Snap to become President of Advertising at King, a mobile game studio. The move was first noticed by The Information.
The World of Warcraft multiplayer game was initially released in what year? (Email [email protected] with your answer and be sure to include your name, company, city and state.)
Our Last Trivia Question: Hank Azaria has been part of The Simpsons’ main cast since 1989, voicing a slew of characters. Name three of them. Answer: Too many to count! Azaria’s Simpsons characters include Moe, Apu, Chief Wiggum, Comic Book Guy, and a slew of others. Kudos to Andy Pittman-TAMU/TX, Dan Quitério-Understood/NY, Louis Lewow-Lewow Media Group/GA, Scott Jenkins-Gracenote/NY, David Westberg-SAG-AFTRA Federal Credit Union/CA, Lorrie Shilling/CA, Tom Moore-Kalt Productions/CA, Josh Landau-Sports Illustrated Play/NJ, and Mike Martorano-Premiere Networks/CA