It can take a while for anyone to get settled in at a new job, which is why it’s always important to try to get off on the right foot. For anyone about to report for work at a new place, here are 7 things not to do your first day.
Seems obvious, but you might be surprised how often it happens…and people notice.
2. Empty the coffee pot and don’t refill it.
If you use the last of the coffee, at least ask a co-worker where the coffee is so you can make more—if there’s a designated coffee brewer, they’ll let you know.
3. Scroll through Facebook during a meeting.
That is so 2017.
4. Hawk cookies, magazines, or other merchandise from your kid’s club’s current fundraiser.
Maybe buy something from one of your co-worker’s kids first?.
5. Take a 90-minute lunch break.
Even if your boss isn’t tracking your time, your co-workers are.
6. Check your favorite job search sites.
At least give the new job a couple weeks before deciding it’s not for you.
7. Get caught up in office gossip. Do listen – you want to get a gauge on what people think – but don’t contribute.
Share personal info about yourself.
8. Wait until you know who you can trust.
Some of your co-workers will likely become good friends – but you don’t know who they are yet.