Upfront 2013: The CW Network
“We had a terrific season last year, growing our audience on-air, digitally and socially. Now we are building on that success by continuing to add more original programming all year long, and by adding high-concept, shows to our schedule that will help us continue our mission of broadening out our 18-to-34-year old audience,” announced Mark Pedowitz, President, The CW, at the network’s Upfront presentation in New York’s City Center. He added that when considering whether a show makes it onto the CW schedule, he runs it through the filter of “Are there 100 episodes here?” Here are the shows that passed the test:
- The Originals (from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with My So-Called Company, Alloy Entertainment, Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios), a spin-off of The Vampire Diaries, focuses on Klaus Mikaelson, the original vampire-werewolf hybrid, as he returns the French Quarter of New Orleans, the city his family helped build.
- Robbie Amell stars as a young man with abilities he is only beginning to understand that lead him to his first encounter with The Tomorrow People (from Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios), a genetically advanced race with the abilities of telekinesis, teleportation and telepathic communication.
- The sweeping, romantic and racy new historical drama Reign (from CBS Television Studios and Warner Bros. Television) stars Adelaide Kane as the young Mary, Queen of Scots.
- New drama Star-Crossed (from Ole Productions, Isla de Babel SL and 360 Powwow in association with CBS Television Studios and Warner Bros. Television) centers on Emery and her romance with Roman, an alien.
- The survival of the human race is entirely in the hands of The 100 (from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Alloy Entertainment, Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios) as they must find a way to transcend their differences, unite and forge a new path on a wildly changed Earth that’s primitive, intense and teeming with the unknown.
- Reality series Famous in 12 (from Renegade 83 and Harvey Levin Productions in association with Warner Horizon Television and Telepictures) is a social experiment that tracks the lives of one determined family as they move to Los Angeles and seek fame in a 12-week time frame.
- The CW and Clear Channel Media and Entertainment have announced a multi-year partnership making The CW the exclusive television broadcaster of the two-day, iHeartRadio Music Festival. The CW will also be the exclusive broadcast home of iHeartRadio’s holiday Jingle Ball concert, the iHeartRadio Ultimate Pool Party, and more. The agreement also gives the CW exclusive streaming rights to the television specials on CWTV.com following the broadcasts.The three-year agreement begins with the iHeartRadio Ultimate Pool Party on Monday, July 15 at 8p
Read the press release here.