The story began 50 years ago, on September 26, 1969, when ABC introduced its audience to a Lovely Lady who married a Man Named Brady and formed one of television’s most popular and enduring blended families, The Brady Bunch (ABC, 1969-74). The series’ golden anniversary is one reason you’ve probably seen original cast members appearing on everything from Chopped, and Worst Cooks in America, to Fast ‘N Loud. Another reason: those shows, on HGTV’s sister networks, are promoting HGTV’s perfectly-timed limited series, A Very Brady Renovation. With the big anniversary right around the corner, it seemed like a good time to look back at a whole bunch of Brady spinoffs (not counting The Brady Bunch Movie and its sequels).
- The Brady Kids on Mystery Island (ABC, 1972) – The premiere episode of The ABC Saturday Superstar Movie not only cross-promoted two kid-friendly franchises, it served as a pilot for the second spinoff on our list.
- The Brady Kids (ABC, 1972-73) – The animated series had the Brady kids forming a band and hanging out with talking animals.
- The Brady Bunch Variety Hour (ABC, 1976-77) – The original cast (minus Eve Plumb, whose Jan was played by Geri Reischel) reprised their roles for this variety show produced by Syd & Marty Krofft, whose Donny & Marie variety show was a hit at the time.
- The Brady Girls Get Married (1981, NBC) – This TV movie was the first real reunion and brought the entire Brady clan—including all original cast members—home for Marcia and Jan’s double wedding.
- The Brady Brides (NBC, 1981) – The spinoff of The Brady Girls Get Married followed the lives of Marcia, Jan and their new husbands who all shared a house, but it failed to click with viewers.
- A Very Brady Christmas (CBS, 1988) – This TV movie reunited the growing family (Susan Olsen wasn’t able to return, so Jennifer Runyon played Cindy), and introduced more serious storylines for many of the characters. Rest assured, it ended with the family singing Christmas carols. Ratings were high enough to inspire another series.
- The Bradys (CBS, 1990) —Olsen returned for this spinoff series, but Maureen McCormick didn’t (Marcia was played by Leah Ayres). More dramedy than comedy, this series saw Mike entering politics, Bobby temporarily paralyzed in a race car accident, alcoholism, and infertility.
- Bradymania: A Very Brady Special (ABC, 1993) – The TV special hosted by Florence Henderson included memorable clips, interviews with cast members, and reflected on the impact the original series had on pop culture.
- Brady Bunch Home Movies (CBS, 1995) – Early on during the original series’ run, Robert Reed gave each cast member a home movie camera. This special boasted behind-the-scenes and archival footage of the cast at work and at play.
- Growing Up Brady (NBC, 2000) – Based on Barry Williams’ 1992 autobiography of the same name, this TV movie focused on his
memories from when the series was in production. Adam Brody played Williams, Kaley Cuoco played McCormick, and Mike Lookinland (the original Bobby) played a camera operator while his young son, Scott, played him.
- A Very Brady Renovation (HGTV, 2019) – Last year HGTV purchased the home familiar to millions as the exterior of the Brady house. This year they renovated it so the interior resembled the show’s original sets. All six Brady “kids” accepted the challenge to appear on the show, as themselves, alongside Property Brothers’ Jonathan and Drew Scott who led the project.