The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG’s primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
The Sr Development Producer of APM Studios leads the creative development of original podcasts for APM Studios. This position is responsible for managing shows within the development pipeline of new podcasts and overseeing the production of pilots and first-run seasons of original podcasts that deliver on intentional audience targets. The Sr Development Producer reports to the Executive Producer to create an innovative slate of new podcasts and maintain a consistent release of shows across multiple genres and categories that meet APM Studios’ yearly and long-term strategic audience growth goals.
Minimum Compensation: For New York $86,300 and Los Angeles $82,700 annually. This position can sit remotely, and exact salary determined by experience, location and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure and internal equity.
Location: St. Paul, MN, Los Angeles, New York, Remote, USA
Application Deadline: Open until filled
- Manage production and development of new podcasts, creating and commissioning sustainable, high quality shows designed to meet APM’s broad-reach audience goals.
- Pitch new show ideas, angles on stories, and create plans for how a new show or season will sound and be structured.
- Identify audio storytelling opportunities across APM by leveraging existing talent and assets and developing original IP.
- Research ideas for podcasts, as well as write and edit podcast content on a range of subjects.
- Commission and review internal and external pitches for new programs which ladder up to APM Studios’ content strategy.
- Solicit and manage content partnerships across APM and with external partners under the direction of the Executive Producer.
- Build and lead production teams to work on development of new shows.
- Ensure alignment with APM editorial ethics and standards and mission.
- Regularly engage and work with freelancers and grow the team to the needs of our podcasting business.
- Lead and/or participate in the production of pilot projects, from development to execution.
- Liaise as appropriate with APM underwriting, membership and development to strengthen the distribution and marketing of the podcast.
- Work with other stakeholders within the organization to ensure that our content will have audience and sponsor appeal.
- Perform soup-to-nuts production tasks, including identifying and interviewing sources, booking, prepping hosts, writing scripts, researching, fact-checking, processing tape and making it sing, and managing talent.
- Work with and manage internal and external talent and hosts.
- Participate in the recruitment and retention of a diverse team of audio creators for new shows.
- Manage multiple projects, deadlines and responsibilities at once, keeping editors, hosts, producers and others updated.
- Collaborate with social media, video, digital and marketing teams to optimize new programs for launch across all platforms.
- Strategize on additional IP opportunities for new and existing podcasts
- Foster a creative and productive work environment. Create development opportunities and individualized development plans for staff and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
- Stay abreast of innovations in the content and media world, such as emerging communication and delivery platforms.
- Collaborate with Audience Insights and Marketing to stay on top of consumer insights, digital platform and content trends, as well as utilize focus group testing results to improve upon new show concepts and pilots in development for APM Studios.
- Work in close partnership with the Line Producer to ensure production needs are met via approved budgets
- Work in close partnership with the Senior Editor of the unit to ensure Brand quality control of all programming coming from APM Studios.
- Manage a development producer and their rotation of interns for the Development Team
- Other duties as assigned.