The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG’s primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
APM Studios, American Public Media’s podcast unit, is seeking an Executive Producer to lead APM Studios’ original productions including Terrible, Thanks for Asking, Spectacular Failures, Slowdown, Don’t Ask Tig, The Splendid Table, Too Beautiful To Live, Brains On! and Smash Boom Best. The right candidate is ambitious, strategic and collaborative. You are as passionate about making unforgettable audio as you are in elevating the work of others.
The success of APM’s podcasting program will depend on great content. As the Executive Producer, you will set the editorial vision and provide leadership over your portfolio of shows, and ensure they meets standards that are focused first and foremost on our audiences.
You will wear many hats: producer, editor, project lead, media strategist and evangelist. What you should possess: an excellent ear for sound and storytelling; the ability to engage hosts, talent and highly trained production teams; a competitive and nimble spirit; excellent editorial judgment; a ton of ideas and the ability to let those ideas go when they don’t work; a love for writing and structure; and an appreciation for the art of editing and being edited. You are comfortable managing business opportunities and partnerships outside the company. This position will report to the COO, APM Studios.
The ideal candidate thinks first about the audience; has outstanding editorial judgment, with the drive of a start-up entrepreneur; is a learner and a patient teacher; and can glean insight from data and apply it directly to new work. We are looking for someone with sharp editorial instincts and digital smarts. You should be comfortable in a rapidly changing environment and workplace. You will be responsible for ensuring APM’s editorial standards are met, and you will build upon and expand the strong brand affinity, trust and engagement with audiences, donors, and corporate sponsors that has been the hallmark of American Public Media.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
- Lead production of APM Studios’ existing tentpole franchises
- Create and manage budgets
- Lead recruitment and development of senior staff, including hosts when applicable
- Has primary responsibility for talent management
- Overall responsibility for our shows’ identity, content, sound, style and spirit
- Serve as editorial and programming leader for all the podcasts in the assigned portfolio
- Support on-mic talent as well as internal and external teams, to ensure quality, creativity, audience growth and maximum revenue across shows
- Offer structural, technical and audio expertise to continue improving our content
- Work in partnership with the Director of Content Development in order to develop spin-off projects for existing shows in the portfolio
- Lead production teams to work on any shows that are added to the portfolio via in-house development or acquisition, incl. potential seasonal, weekly or daily formats
- Regularly engage and work with freelancers and grow the production team to the needs of our business.
- Liaise as appropriate with APM Marketing, PR, Sales, Membership and Development to strengthen the distribution and reach of the portfolio, and to support new and existing monetization strategies.
- Work with other stakeholders within the organization to ensure that our content will have audience and sponsor appeal.
- Communicate constantly and clearly with other members of the podcast unit
- Manage multiple projects, deadlines and responsibilities at once, keeping editors, hosts, producers and others updated.
- Train, manage, and continuously coach the show teams in creative audio and production management skills.
- Develop a pipeline of new talent, guests, and projects that ensures our programming remains fresh and relevant
- Source and supervise producers and production companies for specific projects, with accountability for inclusion and representation.
- Hire, supervise, train, and manage direct staff through providing work direction, constructive performance coaching, mentorship, performance meetings, and on-going feedback.
- Foster a creative and productive work environment to ensure communicative and efficient production. Create development opportunities and individualized development plans for staff and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
- Analyze data about what stories, topics and techniques perform the best with the audience to improve our offerings and consistently share top line takeaways with stakeholders.
- Ensure alignment with APM editorial ethics and standards and mission
- Other duties as assigned.