MLB Network seeks a Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs with strong knowledge and understanding of legal and business issues related to media, strong negotiation and drafting skills and a solid understanding of business issues. The Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs, will handle a variety of matters, including contract summary/tracking/management, confidentiality, talent agreements, service agreements, content acquisition agreements, licensing agreements, third party rights clearances, affiliation agreements and general contract matters.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Draft and/or negotiate a wide variety of agreements including talent agreements, affiliate distribution agreements, content acquisition agreements, services agreements and agreements related to remote program productions (e.g., crewer, truck, vendor and equipment rental agreements).
• Assist with counseling various departments on transactional and legal matters.
• Oversee administration and compliance with of standards and practices for day-to-day production related matters including analyzing, identifying and resolving any business or legal issues in creative content.
• Track, analyze and summarize various agreement terms.
• Advise various departments on interpretations of specific contract terms
• Advise relevant departments on production issues, including defamation, music licensing and rights and clearances.
• General contract review.
• Support senior attorney/Company, as needed.
• As assigned, communicate with / provide support to overall MLB-wide legal activities.
• Other such duties as required.
It is expected that the Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs will maintain and increase knowledge in media law as well as the business on an ongoing basis.