With a heavy dash of Derek Jeter playing his final All-Star Game, the Summer Classic proved to be a boon for FOX, generating a 7.0 fast-national household rating, with an average audience of 11.34 million. That marks the highest-rated, most-watched All-Star Game since 2010, according to Nielsen, and first time that the MLB All-Star Game has posted ratings increases in consecutive years since 1993 and 1994. Host city Minneapolis/St. Paul led all markets with a 16.6 rating, followed by Detroit at a 15.1, then St. Louis (14.3); Pittsburgh (12.4); and Milwaukee (12.0).
TiVo’s top moments from the game.
1. 9:34pm To begin the 4th inning Alexie Ramirez of the White Sox comes out on the field to replace Jeter at shortstop as Sinatra’s “New York, New York” plays in the background.
2. 9:40pm With the Dodgers speedy Dee Gordon at first, the Brewers Jonathan Lucroy hits a double to right scoring Gordon and tying the game at 3 apiece.
3. 9:20pm Jeter goes two for two hitting a bloop single to right in the third and then taking second on a passed ball.
4. 10:27pm Even the Jeter interview from the dugout with Fox announcer Joe Buck ranks as a Top Moment.
5. 8:30pm “Now batting for the American League, from the New York Yankees, the shortstop #2, Derek Jeter,” this announcement was followed by a prolonged standing ovation with even the NL players on the field applauding.