The Director of Media, Social & Emerging Media, is an integral part of the Ad Council’s Social & Emerging Media Outreach team and will be primarily responsible for managing partnerships with existing social & digital media partners and developing business with new, emerging media companies that will drive impact for the Ad Council’s 40+ social impact campaigns.
The Ad Council Media Team is responsible for conducting outreach to more than 200 U.S. media companies, across all platforms, and securing over $1B in donated media support annually. We ideate, evaluate and develop custom, large scale social good partnerships with media companies to ensure our campaigns are seen by the intended audiences. These targeted partnerships allow us to drive the most impact in raising awareness on the nation’s most pressing causes. Partnerships are an essential part of Ad Council’s evolving media model because in addition to donated media, partnerships generate reach through earned, shared and owned media.
We utilize best-in-class traditional and digital strategies, platforms, partners, technologies and tactics to drive and maximize audience reach, targeting, creative solutions and impact for our campaigns. The media department identifies, develops, and supports initiatives that evolve the Ad Council business model to adapt to the changing media environment, ensure sustainable growth for the future, and foster a culture of innovation.
The Director of Media, Social & Emerging will assist Ad Council’s VP of Media, Social & Emerging in San Francisco by overseeing partnerships with major platforms accounts including Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and Snapchat. They are a subject matter expert in digital, mobile, and social media platforms and have a passion for social good. They have a track record of successfully building digital and/or social media partnerships and an ability to work well cross functionally. In addition to managing existing accounts, the Director of Media, Social & Emerging is also responsible for prospecting new and emerging media companies and discovering new, innovative ways to get our messages to the public. As important, they will help us say no, quickly (and often!) in order to focus on the right opportunities at the right time.
Candidates must be a self-starter and have strong consultative sales capabilities, a solid understanding of the social and digital media landscape, a collaborative and innovative spirit, and must be comfortable working within a fast moving, entrepreneurial environment.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Manage day-to-day responsibilities with existing social & digital media partners including Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and Snapchat which includes the development of large scale social good partnerships.
• Lead in identification, evaluation and development of new social and digital media platform technologies that will benefit the Ad Council and drive our mission forward.
• Set up meetings and establish relationships with key executives at media companies with the goal of securing donated media, building strategic partnerships and developing public facing case studies. Maintain ongoing communication with senior level contacts at each company.
• Work with Media Strategy team to identify campaigns that align with media properties based on their specific platform, content, target, or CSR initiatives.
• Monitor and track donated media and request self-reporting from media partners
• Collaborate across Ad Council departments, including Campaign Development, Research, Financial Development, Marketing and Communications, etc. to maximize opportunities for robust, collaborative partnerships and engagement.
• Identify trends in digital & social media and share learnings with the Ad Council
• Engage in a weekly 1-on-1 conversation with VP of Media, Social & Emerging to provide key learnings and developments of active media partnerships.
• Recognize key stakeholders within new media companies that would be worthwhile board leads and work with Ad Council’s Financial Development team to engage them in discussions to join Ad Council’s Board of Directors or Leadership Council
• Attend digital/mobile/social/tech conferences and share learnings with the Ad Council; some travel required
• Attend networking events to meet key executives in the digital space including venture capitalists.